Tuesday, April 24, 2007

From the desk of Theresa

IMG_3424.JPG

It’s amazing how time flies! As Akello approaches his 8th month, I have to stop and think how did we get here and where has all the time gone? He has grown and changed so much and as many of our friends have their first and second babies and I see these new, teeny-tiny precious bundles I already feel like I don’t remember Akello being that small.

IMG_3429.JPG


I know that he was and the memory and feelings of those early days are still fairly fresh but I am in awe of how quickly that newborn period came and went. I feel so fortunate that I have been able to witness so much of his young life. It is my joy of waking up each day.

I am thankful for his growth and good health. It’s exciting to see the continual development of motor skills, the unfolding personality traits and the TEETH (he has 2 on the bottom and 4 coming in on the top!!!!) and I can’t help wonder what’s next?
I try to take it one day at a time and savor each moment but it’s hard not to project into his future or get caught up in milestones that say when an infant is “supposed” to achieve something. I have to ask myself what’s the rush; he’ll get there when it’s his time.

I think it’s the hurried pace of western living. I feel like I have lived much of my own life in a hurry, multitasking way too much for my own good. It feels like I’m getting a lot done but in completing a task I sometimes miss out on the process. It is actually Akello who is teaching me slow down. I love following the child. He’s knows just where to go and when. He reminds me to be aware of the process.
Time has been on my mind a lot lately. I recently celebrated my 37th birthday on Saturday, April 14th and I think how did I get here and where has all the time gone? Since Akello’s birth I have a new appreciation for birthdays. I hope to never again to take this day for granted or have vanity about my age because it’s so irrelevant. The passing of a birthday is a wonderful time to stop, reflect and be grateful for my life up to this point and to give thanks for another day to fulfill God’s purpose for me on this earth.

I think about this a lot. I can’t help it. I think it is a part of what becoming a parent does to you. I guess I want to be more thoughtful of these things because I feel a responsibility to help Akello appreciate and respect this most precious gift.

I LOVED my birthday this year, maybe for the simple fact that having Akello is like a rebirth. I see the world in a whole new way.




Recapping my birthday: I awoke with positive intentions, greeted by the “son,” my favorite morning light. Gil was nowhere to be seen but he was working his magic in the other room as the festive sounds of music started coming out the living room speakers. Gil had made a special birthday CD of birthday-themed songs; Beatles and Bjork serenaded me, as I got ready for my day. Gil greeted me with a smile and kiss and the most beautiful hand made card filled with words that made my heart melt. After he returned from picking up breakfast, we all sat around so leisurely I almost forgot Gil had to go to work but alas,
I had some great hang time with my other main man Akello. It was an absolutely gorgeous day so we spent a good deal of it outside, one of our favorite places to be. Later that afternoon,
My mom came down from Killeen with 2 of my young cousins bringing a batch of her delicious homemade gumbo (mmmmm good).

IMG_3413.JPG

IMG_3417.JPG


My cousin Val, Lamar and their daughter Jasmine as well as Simone came in from the south side. It truly felt special being around so many loved ones.

IMG_3405.JPG

IMG_3406.JPG

IMG_3407.JPG

Simone brought the most decadent chocolate cake I have ever tasted. just thinking about it makes my mouth water and my teeth ache.

IMG_3409.JPG

IMG_3410.JPG

IMG_3412.JPG


It was good times and good conversation and as Akello enjoyed watching his 5 year old cousin, Jayla, dance around, sing and make silly faces, my mom, Nia and I played scrabble, my favorite board game till everyone had to go home. At the end of the day it was the 3 of us again sitting around so leisurely it was like we were on vacation. These are some of my favorite moments, when we live in the present moment, enjoying each other and the process, no rush, no where to go, no place to be, just BEing. A lovely end to a lovely day.
Thank you. Thank you. Thank you.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home